The whole project was completed in 1871, after the inevitable problems of soaring costs (£142,000 against a budget of £126,000) and extended timescales.
A dam was built at the eastern end of the shallow valley. The dam is 760 yards long and rises to a height of 51 feet at its highest point, which gives a depth of water of 38 feet.
The dam is constructed of Swithland slate with a centre core of puddled clay, obtained from land to the north side of the reservoir still known as "Puddledyke".
The first section of the original road, from its junction on Station Road between The Thatch and Corner Cottage, still exists.