The Hind Sisters Homes in Station Road Cropston are almshouses which provide communal space and separate living accommodation for 11 residents.
They were founded by Miss Sarah Jane Hind of Ibstock, who died in 1922 leaving an estate valued at £35,105. Her will stated that the bulk of this estate should be used to set up a charity which she directed should be called “The Hind Sisters Homes”. Her instructions were:
- Some of her land in Cropston to be set aside and almshouses built.
- Almshouses to be used and occupied by deserving gentlewomen in reduced circumstances who shall be of the age of 60 years and upwards and be members of the Church of England and be elected by trustees. They could live in the houses “so long as they remain members of Church of England”.
- Each resident was to receive an allowance of 8/- per week, provided that sufficient funds were available.
Plans for the new almshouses were drawn up in 1926 by Owen Lancashire, an architect living in Cropston and one of her executors, and the homes were opened in June 1928.
At that time the gates were always locked promptly at 10pm. This practice has now been abandoned.
A Board of Trustees continues to run the almshouses along the principles laid down in the will.