The Wheatsheaf (Old)

The Wheatsheaf, now Thurcaston's only pub, has been a landmark in the village for around 400 years.  It was built as an inn with 2 attached cottages in the 1600s.

The thatch roof was replaced by slates in the early 20th century.

Drunk in Charge

BELGRAVE- W Dexter, beerhouse-keeper, Thurcaston, was charged with being drunk when in charge of a horse and cart, at Belgrave, on the 12th inst. PC Dockerill said, in consequence of complaints, he went in search of defendant, and found him near the Folly hill, very drunk, in charge of a horse and cart.   His harness was very much damaged, having been, he understood, in collision with a brick cart. Brought him to the station, and he could hardly stand. Fined £1 13s, including costs, or twenty-one days’ hard labour.

Leicester Chronicle – Saturday 20 November 1875

Non-intoxicating Ginger Wine?

George Wright, landlord of the Wheatsheaf Inn, was one of 4 beerhouse-keepers prosecuted for selling ginger wine without a spirit licence.  An analysis of the wine showed that it was equal to the alcoholic strength of light claret.

One of the other defendants had stated that ginger wine was a non-intoxicating drink and that he had sold it to teetotallers for 20 years (laughter in court).

The magistrate thought that the defendants had acted in ignorance.  Each was fined £20 inclusive.

Adapted from report in the Leicester Mercury, March 20 1915

Fracas at the Wheatsheaf

William Seal, a labourer from Thurcaston and George Seal, a militiaman from Glen Parva, were charged with refusing to quit the licensed premises of William Dexter at Thurcaston on the 25th May (1885), and with assaulting him on the same date; and George Seal was also charged with damaging a door to the extent of 4s.

The incident happened on Whit Monday.  The Seals had been drinking since early morning.   In the afternoon they began to quarrel with other customers.  When the others left the Seals began to fight each other.   They were ejected several times, but continued to fight in the street and then went back into the pub. 

At 9:30pm, they were again ordered out and William Seal obeyed.  George, however, kicked out the bottom panel of the door, took the door off its hinges and threw it away.  When William Dexter went to pick up the door George knocked the sixty-year old landlord unconscious.

Adapted from report in the Supplement to the Leicester Chronicle and Leicestershire Mercury  13 June 1885